Thursday 10 November 2011

Top 10 movies I could watch over & over & over...

I just finished alphabetising my DVDs. I have something like 500 DVDs so this was no small feat. I had fun looking at all the old DVDs I haven't watched in ages because I spend so much time watching the same few over and over.

You'll notice a few Tim Burton movies on this list. He's my idol. I love the darkness of his movies. I love when he teams up with Danny Elfman and Johnny Depp. If Helena Bonham Carter is involved it just becomes sheer perfection.

So, in no real particular order, here are my Top 10 DVDs I could watch over and over and over and over and over...


1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen this movie. When I was about 10 I used to hire this on VHS from the video shop and watch it over and over for a week. When I finally owned it myself, I did the same thing. It's a Tim Burton movie. I know this movie word for word and I have the songs on my iPod. My room is covered in Nightmare merchandise, my most prized being the soundtrack on LP. It's one of only 100 ever made.
"There's children throwing snowballs, instead of throwing heads. They're busy building toys and absolutely no one's dead!" - Jack Skellington


2. Jurassic Park
Dinosaurs. Need I say more? I first saw this movie at the drive-in and it always takes me back! I remember getting the showbag from the Ekka too! Sometimes I make a marathon of it and watch all three. The special effects still amaze me and the jokes still make me laugh. What do you call a blind dinosaur? DoYouThinkHeSaurus! Comedic gold!!
"Clever girl..." - Muldoon


3. Independence Day
Will Smith and aliens. What a combo! I love action movies and this is one of my favourites! I saw it at the cinema three times. I rarely see a movie twice at the cinema but this is the only movie I've ever seen three times!
"Welcome to Earth!" - Cptn Hiller

4. Alice in Wonderland
The 1951 Disney classic, my oh my. My dad recorded this off TV for me when I was about three. He'd even gone to that effort of stopping and restarting the recording to skip the ad breaks. I watched this at least once a fortnight. Whenever I was bored I'd whinge to my parents and they'd say 'why don't you watch a movie?' So I did. Alice in Wonderland. I love the storyline, it's also one of my favourite books.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." - Alice


5. Repo! The Genetic Opera
It's a gory rock opera and I absolutely love it. It may have Paris Hilton in it but I manage to overlook that. The music is amazing and so catchy. I find myself randomly singing songs from it all the time. That's usually when I end up throwing it on, because I want to hear the songs better than I sing it in my head!
"Come up and try my new parts, go on and break them in. We both know what we want, shut up and try my new parts." - Amber Sweet


6. Beetlejuice
Another Tim Burton movie. The camp over-acting, the cheesy special effects and the sick humour just make this a joy for me to watch. I am scared of death so watching a movie that has a premise of life after death makes me feel comforted. The movie also casually pokes fun of death and I just adore that. And really like Winona Ryder so I think this movie is awesome!
"I am alone. I am *utterly* alone." - Lydia


7. Wayne's World
This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I remember loving it when I was really young. Then I bought it on DVD and watched it again. Truth be told, I don't think I got it at all when I was young and just laughed because everyone else did. I did that a lot. But now that I'm older Wayne Campbell and Garth Alger crack me up! Mike Myers is hysterical and c'mon, who doesn't love the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' scene? Speaking of which, the music? Oh, it's just amazing!
"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored." - Wayne Campbell


8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Hysterically funny. That's the only way I can really describe it. The Monty Python team rock and The Holy Grail is just the most superb example of their talent. The guys play multiple roles, like they usually do, and there's so many great skits. Even if you've never seen the movie, no doubt you've heard it referenced somewhere.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away." - Dennis


9. Mars Attacks!
Another Tim Burton classic. This is one of his lesser known movies which is ironic because there is an amazing list of huge stars who were in it! Michael J Fox, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jack Black, Christina Applegate, Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Tom Jones, Martin Short, Glenn Close, Danny DeVito, Natalie Portman... The crazy sound the aliens make gets stuck in your head and the stupidity of the humans is hilarious, yet scarily accurate...
"Guess it wasn't the dove..." - Taffy


10. Batman
I refer, of course, to the first four Batman movies: Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever & Batman and Robin. (It's not cheating because I made up the rules!) If you don't know, you won't be surprised to learn that Tim Burton directs the first two and produced the third. The darkness, the action, the humour, the music...
"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" - The Joker

So tell me, have you seen any or all of these movies? What do you think of them? Could you watch them over and over again? Do you have your own favourite movies that rarely leave your DVD player? Perhaps you're one of those people who hates to watch a movie more than once! Let me know!

Miss SAMawdsley xx

No comments:

Post a Comment